Mittwoch, 12. Oktober 2016

Rainbows and butterflies in dutch agricultural landscapes - 30 years ago



Rainbow



Aglais Io - The European Peacock
on Lythrum salicaria - Purple loosestrife


Along ditches: purple loosestrife, nettles, and other plants preferring nutrient-rich soils


Along the maize monocultures; quite some diversity, including Anthriscus sylvestris - Wild chervil.

--------------------------

These pictures were my very first, when I started photography. Now they are a time document from about 1988, almost 30 years ago.
Yes, it seemed so idyllic when I grew up. Some biodiversity between the agricultural fields; different weeds and at least 5 different butterflies flying regularly around each year. At that time I did not know the truth. Decades of fertilizer already destroyed most of the biodiversity. These were the species remaining! But it was the world I knew (my 'zero' reference). And it would become worse soon... New pesticides were being used and by 1992 the purple loosestrife disappeared completely from this area where I lived, along with the butterflies and bees visiting them. For who is not depressed enough: This happened AFTER 1992.

This change that I observed was definitely one of the reasons to dedicate a part of my life to nature conservation in agricultural landscapes. It seems I have to continue for a while...



---------------------



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen